Most frequently asked questions about scrapping a car.

FAQ on the process of scrapping a car with us.

Scrap prices constantly change due to fluctuations in the world wide demand for steel, this affects how much your car is worth for scrap along with its model, make, age and condition

No, but it does affect how much your car is worth for scrap.

To be complete, a car must have all of its essential components, such as the engine, gearbox, wheels, bodywork, battery and catalytic converter (if originally fitted). None of these parts have to be working nor does the car have to be drivable.

No, but If your car is significantly damaged, please tell us as it could affect its value for scrap.

No, but it can affect its value. Being free from waste means that your car does not contain any significant items of refuse such as garden/ household waste or old tyres etc.; basically anything that does not form part of the car itself.

No but if you would like your car to be collected by us, it’s helpful for us to know whether or not the keys are available

No, your car does not need to have a valid insurance policy in order for it to be accepted by us for scrap

We prefer it if it is as it makes it easier for us to collect it with our vehicles but we will still consider collecting it if it is not.

If you have a personalised registration number that you wish to keep you must transfer it before you dispose of your old car.

The value of scrap metal fluctuates in line with worldwide demand for steel. At present, most scrap cars have a value, we do not charge for collection and we pay top prices for scrap cars.

Not all companies that accept scrap cars are licensed by the environment agency as they do not meet the required legal standards. We are fully licensed by the environmental agencies.

Babngtons Car Spares will give you an official DVLA Certificate of Destruction in line with the regulations, removing your car from DVLA’s database permanently, so it can’ be returned to the road.

Yes, we will give you a Certificate of Destruction which proves that you have scrapped your car legally.

No, only businesses which have special licenses issued by the environment agencies can accept scrap cars. It is a criminal offence for a business to recycle a car without an Authorised Treatment Facility permit however there are still businesses out there which will readily accept your car without a license.

We will issue your DVLA Certificate of Destruction on collection of your car

If you have your V5C registration document (otherwise known as a log book), you should hand it over so that a Certificate of Destruction can be issued.Don’t worry if you do not have the registration document as a Certificate of Destruction can usually be issued without it.

Authorised Treatment Facilities are sites which have been licensed by the Environment Agency in England, Wales, the Scottish Environment Protection Agency in Scotland or the Northern Ireland Environment Agency in Northern Ireland, to de-pollute scrap cars to standards set by DEFRA (the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs). Only these sites are permitted to issue last owners with a DVLA Certificate of Destruction.

Authorised Treatment Facilities may also be known as ATFs, car dismantlers, scrap yards, junk yards, salvage yards or breakers.

An end of life vehicle is more commonly known as a scrap car, junk car, breaker or salvage vehicle.

The End of Life Vehicle Regulations are designed to reduce the impact that old cars have on the environment when they reach the end of their useful life. The regulations were introduced in two parts. The first set of regulations came into effect in 2003 and require end of life vehicles to be de-polluted, that is the removal of all hazardous materials such as fluids, tyres and batteries, at an Authorised Treatment Facility before any of its parts or materials can be re-used or recycled.The second set of regulations came into effect in 2005 and require both car makers and Authorised Treatment Facilities to meet tough recycling targets of 85% by weight per vehicle.